Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Moonflower craziness, seedlings + lithops

I don't know why I was so shocked yesterday when I saw that my moonflower seeds had exploded into growth only 4 short days after planting given what happened last time but I was. This time around, I think I got the moisture level right because there's no white mold. Hopefully, they don't turn purple or get eaten by bugs.

Moonflower top growth

Moonflower bottom growth
Speaking of getting eaten by bugs, here's what nice and healthy bug-free bok choy looks like. Beautiful, isn't it?


In fact, all of my second generation (for 2011) seedlings are pretty healthy looking, although some of the older parts of the stems growth on the orachs and brassicas look a little skinny and weak compared to the newer growth (i.e., thinner at the bottom of the stem than at the top). The transition between skinny and fat at the node where the seed leaves grew from. This could probably be corrected by growing them next time at lower temperatures and with the lights a bit closer after germination.

Second gen seedlings 2011
Di Cicco Broccoli

Red orach

Orach
As for my lithops, they all seem to be doing interesting things. There are nice plump lithops and then there are wrinkly-looking guys. Some are changing colours, others are retreating into the ground, and yet others ... are they supposed to look like that?



Is this normal?

2 comments:

  1. unfortunately that looks a lot like the developing new head on my mature lithops that shrivelled and died

    http://wetmyplants.blogspot.com/2011/04/death-and-destruction.html

    the others look good though! mine are still mostly green and iridescent, just barely showing signs of some colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my vote is abnormal on that last one.

    ReplyDelete