Thursday, May 19, 2011

Backyard wilderness

I snapped a few more pictures of the patch of mystery-could-be-anemones down by the compost heap earlier this afternoon. It looks like the plants are getting ready to flower.



Next to the maybe-anemone patch, I also spotted a few of the lovely violas that have been gently rampaging around the front yards (such as they are) in the neighbourhood. My landlord will inevitably mow them down, and I would dearly love to see them next spring in my big cedar planters. What's the best way to move one or two of them upstairs? Alternately, what do the mature seed heads look like?

4 comments:

  1.  The seedheads are really, really small, but violets are incredibly tough. I have them in my lawn, where they are mown, and they do fine. If you want them, just dig up the rhizome, pull out the grass and plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! I've actually heard that some people consider them weeds, which puzzles me. But then again, I don't own a lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do! I've actually heard that some people consider them weeds, which puzzles me. But then again, I don't own a lawn. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand the weed thing myself. I consider it a weed if it
    meet the following criteria: 1. ugly 2. hurts me with thorns or rashes
    3. impossible to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete